Monday, April 18, 2011

Tohoku, Japan 2


Matsushima City to Ishinomaki City    March 28


By the time I got to Tohoku area, I almost had no information about that area.
I had no acquaintance or nor friends.
All I know was huge disastrous event happened then tens of thousands of people have died and thousands others were still missing.  

I only had a rough plan which is to stay there for one week and try to photograph as much as I can.
 One of my biggest concern was gas.
As I driving through the cities, I found out about three fourth of the gas station were closed 
because they were badly damaged.
The other reason why was they were simply out of inventory because less tankers could access to that area.
Cars were making a very long line at a gas station which was open for business.
I asked how long the waits going to be and one worker answered
" At least 5 to 6 hours. some people have to wait over night "
Even local people were struggling, how can I, an outsider,  steal their precious gas? 
I gave up the idea of filling gas in the area.   
Then I decide to walk instead of drive.

I found a free parking lot for tourists in Matsushima City ( Matsushima is a major tourist destination but in the time like that, I saw no tourists )
So I left my car with half a tank of gas so I can go back to Tokyo, packed food, water, some clothe and a sleeping bag into my back pack and started to walk.

My destination was to Ishinomaki City, about 20 miles away from where I was.





    Even though tsunami did not hit this area in the picture, 
    the earthquake itself was huge enough to crush down houses like this.








    After I walked for four or five hours, this lady stopped her car in front of me 
    then asked me where I am going and if I want a ride.
    Of cause I said yes.
    She was on her way to see her friends who now live in a shelter,
    delivering some stuffs they have asked.
    She said she was lucky because her house is standing 7 miles inland so did not
    have toworry about tsunami and also she does not have to worry about food
    because she is a farmer.
    With that advantage she has, she was running around day and night trying to
    help other people.
    She was a great person and I could not stop admiring her.
  
    She gave me a pack of strawberry and said
    " It's grew in Ishinomaki, where we are heading right now.
     Try them ( actually  they taste super good!! )
     and please see what really happened there"







    You can see why they are still out of power.





    The lady dropped me off at Ishinomaki Port, the west end of the city and
    we said good bye to each other.












    Now I am in Ishinomaki.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your work, Be well and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment Nasheim !!

    ReplyDelete