Monday, April 18, 2011

Tohoku, Japan 1



March 28th Shiogama City   6:00am



 It has already been one month and one week since the earthquake and Tsunami hit Tohoku(north-east)area of Japan.
Like everyone else, I could not believe what I was seeing on TV news on that day.
As I watching huge wall of water destroying my home country through TV screen,
I became very emotional and could not stand just sit here and do nothing.

Then my phone rang, it was from my mother, said her mother ( my grandma ) was visiting Shiroishi City, where the earthquake hit really hard, on that day and still not be able to get touch with her.
That made me decide to go to Japan to see and photograph what is going on there.
Four days later we finally found out that my grandma is OK in a Onsen Ryokan ( a Japan style Hotel)and my uncle brought her safely back to Tokyo.

I arrived to Tokyo on March 24, went to see my grandma (she was totally fine), rent a compact car, and started my journey to Tohoku on March 27.


I drove through Sendai City, the biggest city in Tohoku, arrived at Shiogama City before
mid night, slept in my car, and those photos were taken next morning.





    almost three weeks had past and people were starting to clean up the town.


    

    I may look clean but dirt and water once filled entire ground floor.  
   A lady told me because the 2nd floor is livable, people in that area 
   staying in their house Whith no power and no running water.
   She also said she has to go to city hall, which is about half a mile away,
   just to go to bathroom.



    

    The Shutter is down but it is easy to imagine it is a clothing store.

    The paper sign says "still using them ( so don't take them )"

No comments:

Post a Comment