Friday, May 13, 2011

Tohoku, Japan 9

 Onagawa   March 31,2011



This gentleman was talking to two other men, maybe talking about business.
Before I took this shot he said to me " I owned ten facilities in this town,
fish processing plant, some office buildings, some warehouses, and some
apartment buildings. Now they are all gone."
Then he laughed. He laughed loud.
From his laugh,I felt resignation that he can't do anything to prevent that,
 and his intention not to give up.
  

Behind them, there were their houses. The couple used to live right behind them, the gentleman on right used to live next door and he lost all his families by tsunami....
They come here to look for remaining stuffs from their houses.

A Japanese Self Defense Force officer.

A platoon of the Self Defense Forces. I tried to talk to one of them,
I said "Are you cleaning the area?" He never reply.
Then I said " Are you trying to search for something" Then he just nodded his head.
They were searching for bodies, and he was not being rude to me, he was being serious to me. 

It's a graveyard on a hill about 15 meter above sea level. 

They are visiting their auntie's grave.

There are a shelter near by and they are on their way to go back.

This gentleman did not want his face on a photo he said because he is a politician and a little bit famous, sometimes he goes on a TV news.
He travels around the disaster stricken area and report what he sees to the government.
He said he will write something down so take a picture of that instead of his face.
The writing says

"This great earthquake is the first time in millennium. Japanese people do not give up and trying so hard to reconstruct.
              April 1,2011 a brave man with no name." 

I was actually walking on this road about 2 hours before, now it's under water because of high tide.
They say the costline of Tohoku area , which is about 500 kilometers long, fell in about  2 feet overall the coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment